French quarter in Hanoi is one of the most being concerned quarters besides the old quarter with 36 old streets, historical attractions, unique street cuisine which are a lot special to visitors,.. Most of visitors generally know a little bit about the French quarter in Hanoi Vietnam. It is not simple just to be a architecture complex, French quarter became a part of Hanoi capital and a precious heritage of the capital.
Getting more knowledge about French quarter will promote your feeling when you see them.
So how many things are included in the French quarter ?
I. French Quarter in Hanoi
I.1 Trang Tien street ( In Vietnamese: Tràng Tiền)
This street was known as a beautiful street in Hanoi from the past and the most changed street in Hanoi. In the past you could easily catch some cinemas, hotels, drug stores, bookstores, banks…along the street
Now, let’s see the beauty of special buildings on Trang Tien
Trang Tien Plaza
Trang Tien plaza is a big commercial center of Hoan Kiem district. It is near Hanoi post office and ahead to Hoan Kiem lake. Trang Tien plaza was founded in 1999 due to high purchasing demand.
Trang Tien ice cream
Believe in me ! Trang Tien ice cream can’t be denied by anyone who knew its flavor for the first time.
Located on Trang Tien street, the famous ice cream store was originated from a food store and now everyone comes here to buy an ice cream when they hang out around Hoan Kiem lake.
This was built into some cultural features of Hanoi. One thing special is that people usually stand at the store while they are eating ice cream
I.2 Hanoi Opera House
Hanoi Opera House is a opera house of Hanoi, located on the site named August Revolution Square. Hanoi Opera House is just a few steps from Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi Old Quarter and Vietnam History Museum
- Hanoi Opera House embraces the European architectural style under the Renaissance period with the Italian-made marble floor, copper chandeliers and exquisite French murals on the ceiling, thus making the place one of Hanoi’s singular architectural landmarks.
- The opera house was built from 1901 to 1991, it is a new version of Opera Garnier of Paris and becomes one of culture center of Hanoi capital where there are cultural activities, art shows, dancing shows and meeting…are organized !
I.3 National Museum Of Vietnamese History
The museum is considered as a important model of Indochina architecture. It made an effort of combination between value of French style and the east structure.
The museum has exhibits from pre-history, imperial period and modern era. You will particularly enjoy learning about the many different cultures of Vietnam.
- Opening Hours: Daily 08:00 – 12:00 and 13:30 – 17:00
- Address: 1 Trang Tien & 216 Tran Quang Khai, Hoan Kiem District, Price Range: VND 40,000
I.4 Hoa Lo prison
The prison was built in Hanoi by the French, when Vietnam was still part of French Indochina. The French called the prison Maison Centrale – literally, Central House, a traditional euphemism to denote prisons in France.
- It was located near Hanoi’s French Quarter. It was intended to hold Vietnamese prisoners, particularly political prisoners
- Address: Hoa Lo street, the street with only a house ( Hoa Lo prison)
If you are keen on this prison, take a look through Hanoi Itinerary to choose yourself a good route to visit Hanoi.
I.5 St joseph’s Cathedral
St. Joseph’s Cathedral is a church on Nha Tho (Church) Street in the Hoàn Kiếm District of Hanoi. Its a late 19th-century Gothic Revival (Neo-Gothic style) church that serves as the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hanoi to nearly 4 million Catholics in the country.
- Construction began in 1886, with the architectural style described as resembling Notre Dame de Paris.
- The church was one of the first structures built by the French colonial government in Indochina when it opened in December 1886.
- It is the oldest church in Hanoi.
II. Hotels in Hanoi French Quarter
II.1 Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi
Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi first opened in 1901 having been designed and built by two French investors. Standing the test of time, the hotel is recognized as Hanoi’s legendary landmark for its contribution to the city’s heritage.
- Hotel Metropole Hanoi has had a long tradition as a luxury venue for prestigious events and as a popular rendezvous for travelers on business and leisure.
- The hotel has welcomed many famous authors, actors, ambassadors, statesmen, royal family members. Charlie Chaplin, Graham Greene, Somerset Maugham are just a few.
Address: 15 Ngo Quyen street
If you prefer to stay in the Old Quarter, Click here to know places to stay in Hanoi Old Quarter.
II.2 Hilton Opera Hotel
Perfectly located in Hanoi’s stylish French Quarter you’ll find Hilton Hanoi Opera, an iconic hotel and a landmark in itself
Address : N.1 Le Thanh Tong, near Hanoi Opera House
II.3 Hotel de l’Opera Hanoi
The 5-star Hotel de l’Opera Hanoi is located in the center of Hanoi, close to the Opera House,
Address 29 Trang Tien street
The hotel reflects an aesthetic universe, a style, a design, the signature of a person who inspired its vision
III. Hanoi French Quarter Walking Tour
To be more convenient for you, some groups of students in Hanoi make contribution on guiding foreigners to do their tour. And it is all free ! Let become someone’s a friend, he or she will surely show you Hanoi Opera House, St Joseph Cathedral, Hoa Lo prison…and more than that. Here are some organizations that you can follow when you book a free tour in Hanoi :
- Hanoi free local tours
- Hanoi Kids
- Hanoi free walking tours
- Hanoi free tour guides